1. Start DSLR Remote Pro and run the Photobooth Setup Wizard to set up a basic booth, selecting a single photo at Step 1.
2. Start the photo booth. DSLR Remote Pro allows you to customize your booth setup without connecting the camera. (NKRemote and PSRemote users connect and switch on the camera. Webcam Photobooth uses the PC’s internal camera if you have not connected an external camera.)
3. Crop the live view guests see by holding down the ‘shift’ key and pressing the cursor right arrow -> until the live view window is square. The amount of cropping is shown in the lower right corner of the screen. If you overshoot press ‘shift’ and the left arrow <- to reduce the cropping.
4. Check the crop size to see whether the live view window is square: numbers in brackets show (width x height) of the live view.
5. Press <Escape> to exit Photobooth mode and select the large ‘Print Layout’ button to open the Print Layout Editor.
6. Right click on the photo in the print layout and select ‘Edit image position’. Set the image width and height to the same value to make the photo square.
7. Click OK, drag the photo to the required position and/or resize it by dragging the corners. Add any captions, background etc before exporting the layout to save your work.
Square photos can be combined with filters to give a pop art effect, or used singly for a ‘polaroid’ look.
This method can be used to create rectangular photos of any proportions you choose. More details.
Ready for more? You can also create round (or any other shape) photos using a live view overlay and print overlay. You will need to create these overlays in an image editor such as Photoshop. The DSLR Remote Pro help files explain how to customize screens and prints in more detail.
Do you want to offer your guests something new with very little effort? You can add animated GIFs to your booth with just one extra click using the Photo Booth Setup Wizard in DSLR Remote Pro.
DSLR Remote Pro and Webcam Photobooth include two kinds of animated GIFs: boomerang and slideshow. Boomerang GIFs are captured with a short video clip, and usually shared using social media or by email. Slideshow GIFs contain still photos taken during normal photobooth operation. These GIFs can also be shared. The same photos can be printed in a strip or other layouts.
This blog post explains how to create simple boomerang GIFs using the Photo Booth Setup Wizard in DSLR Remote Pro. Webcam Photobooth works in a very similar way. You can customize your GIFs using the advanced settings.
1. Start DSLR Remote Pro. Select the Photobooth Setup Wizard.
2. At Step 3: Select the sharing and other options you need (B), then check the box to capture animated GIFs (C) . Choose any other options you need before clicking on <Finish> (D).
3. The next screen confirms that you have completed running the Setup Wizard. Close this to return to the main screen.
4. Connect your camera and switch it on before selecting ‘Start Photobooth’. That’s it!
5. This is the default photo booth screen created by the Photo Booth Setup Wizard in DSLR Remote Pro 3.7.3 . Guests switch between boomerang GIFs and still photos using the button in the top right corner.
6. You can choose whether guests share GIFs directly from the booth as shown here, or take time to browse and share them away from the booth with Breeze Kiosk (purchased separately).
7. The dinosaur chase at the top of this page shows what you can achieve just using the photobooth setup wizard.
You can modify the default settings to change the video length and playback speed; add overlays and a title page to brand GIFs for each event. This example shows the same GIF overlaid with a simple border. The capture rate and image interval have also been altered to give a smoother result. Find out how to customize your own Boomerang GIFs .
7 December 2018: This post has been updated to show the new Photobooth Setup Screens in in DSLR Remote Pro 3.8