This post explains how to add animated overlays and titles to boomerang (aka ‘burst’) GIFs using DSLR Remote Pro 3.8.1.
Setup your booth to create boomerang GIFs
- DSLR Remote Pro 3.8.1 users: Follow the instructions in this post to create simple boomerang GIFs using Photobooth Setup Wizard. Update: DSLR Remote Pro 3.9 improves the setup wizard. See the new YouTube video for the 3.9 Setup Wizard
Customise the boomerang GIF
2. Next click on File (A) then Videobooth Settings (B) to show the Videobooth Settings screen.
3. Check that the boxes for Create Animated GIF and Use camera’s photo mode are both checked, then select the Animated GIF Settings buttom (C) to see the Animated GIF Settings (video booth) screen
3. The settings below create a ‘boomerang’ animated GIF from the whole photo (landscape orientation) without any border. This GIF will be 600 wide x 400 pixels high. When you have chosen the settings you need click OK (here and the other pop up windows until you return to the main screen).
Add the animated overlay
4. You need the same number of overlay images as frames in the boomerang GIF. In this example the animated GIF has 29 frames (separate images) created from 15 original images*. You need 29 overlay images; called video_stills_overlay_1.png, video_stills_overlay_2.png …. video_stills_overlay_29.png .
*If you don’t use a title, there are 28 frames so you only need 28 overlays.
You can download the snowflake overlays here . Copy all 29 images into the folder you are using for the photobooth screens.
Give your boomerang GIF a title
Note: Boomerang GIFs need one extra overlay if they have a title.
For a single title create a title image named video_stills_title.jpg and insert this into the same PhotoBoothImages folder.
For an animated title replace video_stills_title.jpg with several images called video_stills_title_1.jpg, video_stills_title_2.jpg, video_stills_title_3.jpg etc
You can adjust the length of time the title is displayed (D) and whether it is shown at the start or end of the animation (E) in the Animated GIF Settings (videobooth mode) screen
Run the photobooth and boomerang GIFs created by guests will have animated overlays.
Download DSLR Remote Pro 3.8.1 and try this yourself.
This example uses DSLR Remote Pro’s simulated camera; a handy feature which lets you try out features and set up designs without connecting a real camera to the computer. The GIF has an animated overlay of falling snow and a title. It has been captured in black & white.
The falling snow effect here uses 29 images to create the animation. The snow flakes are in a different position on each image.
You are welcome to use these snowflake overlays in your own booth with DSLR Remote Pro. If you found this post useful please share it with others.
DSLR Remote Pro 3.8.1 is a free upgrade for all registered users who purchased a license on or after 12th December 2016.
Copyright Breeze Systems 2017