Usually photo booth images are shot in ‘landscape’ mode; so that you can comfortably include several people in the shot. Sometimes we want to vary this.
This post explains how to create and print square photos using DSLR Remote Pro 3.7.3. Webcam Photobooth, NKRemote and PSRemote work in a very similar way. First we need to change the shape of the live view image; then change the print layout to match.
1. Start DSLR Remote Pro and run the Photobooth Setup Wizard to set up a basic booth, selecting a single photo at Step 1.
2. Start the photo booth. DSLR Remote Pro allows you to customize your booth setup without connecting the camera. (NKRemote and PSRemote users connect and switch on the camera. Webcam Photobooth uses the PC’s internal camera if you have not connected an external camera.)
3. Crop the live view guests see by holding down the ‘shift’ key and pressing the cursor right arrow -> until the live view window is square. The amount of cropping is shown in the lower right corner of the screen. If you overshoot press ‘shift’ and the left arrow <- to reduce the cropping.
4. Check the crop size to see whether the live view window is square: numbers in brackets show (width x height) of the live view.
5. Press <Escape> to exit Photobooth mode and select the large ‘Print Layout’ button to open the Print Layout Editor.
6. Right click on the photo in the print layout and select ‘Edit image position’. Set the image width and height to the same value to make the photo square.
7. Click OK, drag the photo to the required position and/or resize it by dragging the corners. Add any captions, background etc before exporting the layout to save your work.
Square photos can be combined with filters to give a pop art effect, or used singly for a ‘polaroid’ look.
This method can be used to create rectangular photos of any proportions you choose. More details.
Ready for more? You can also create round (or any other shape) photos using a live view overlay and print overlay. You will need to create these overlays in an image editor such as Photoshop. The DSLR Remote Pro help files explain how to customize screens and prints in more detail.
Copyright Breeze Systems 2017