Slideshow and Boomerang animated GIFs
You can make two kinds of animated GIFs using DSLR Remote Pro 3.8 and Webcam Photobooth 2.4 : slideshow and boomerang. Slideshow GIFs contain still photos taken during normal photobooth operation. You can set up your booth to print the strips (or other layout) and share the same photos in an animated GIF – which looks much more interesting than viewing a strip on a phone.
Boomerang aka Burst GIFs are captured with a short video clip. Both types of GIF can be shared via MMS/SMS, emailed and uploaded to social media.
How to create slideshow GIFs
This blog post explains how to create slideshow GIFs with animated overlays using the Photo Booth Setup Wizard in DSLR Remote Pro 3.8. Photos are printed in the usual way; guests can share the same images as an animated GIF. You can customize your GIFs using the advanced settings.
Start DSLR Remote Pro and run the Photobooth Setup Wizard. This example uses a strip of 4 photos. Choose whether to share via Facebook, Twitter, MMS/SMS or email at Step 3. (Leave these boxes unchecked if you are using a separate sharing station.) This example creates a 4 photo strip; guests can share their GIFs using MMS/SMS.
Next tell the program to create a slideshow GIF:
1. Select Advanced Settings
2. Choose Settings on the Photobooth Settings screen
3. Check Share animated GIFs so that guests can share their GIF from the booth. (Leave this box unchecked if you are using a separate sharing station.)
4. Check Create an animated GIF from the photos
5. Then choose the Animated GIF settings to display the Animated GIF settings screen:
6. A photo width of 600 pixels is a good start point. Use the settings in the image above to create an animated GIF from the whole photo (landscape orientation) without any border. Check the final box if you want to make an MP4 copy of each GIF.
7. When you have chosen the settings you need click OK (here and the other pop up windows until you return to the main screen).
Adding an animated overlay to a slideshow GIF
You can create an animated overlay from a set of transparent png images. The falling snow effect here uses 12 images to create the animation. The snow flakes are in a different position on each image. (3 snowflake overlays are shown over each of the 4 photos.) You can download the snowflake overlays here .
To add an animated overlay return to the Animated GIF Settings screen (Repeat 1 to 5 above, selecting Advanced Settings, then Settings, then Animated GIF Settings.)
Change the number of overlays per photo to 3 and click OK (here and the other pop up windows until you return to the main screen).
Now copy the overlay images you downloaded into the PhotoBoothImages folder containing your screens (A). The overlays must be named GIF_overlay_1.png through to GIF_overlay_12.png (B).
Run the booth and you will create both a strip of four photos and a slideshow GIF with the animated overlay here:
If you found this post useful please share it with others. You are welcome to use these snowflake overlays in your own booth with DSLR Remote Pro.